Is optical going out of style..
Mar 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not surprise me that this is occurring. Digital coaxial RCA is preferable over plastic or glass fiber optic TOSLink because the jacks are uniform are more secure, the materials are more durable and reliable, it has higher bandwidth, and it has less signal degradation over longer distances plus it is dirt cheap. The reason why so many audiophiles can hear distinct sound quality differences between these two different types of S/PDIF connections is because TOSLink has the potential for greater variances which I will explain later. However, it is the digital interface and processor(s) that most contribute to higher jitter in the S/PDIF interface. One box digital source components do not use interfacing S/PDIF connections so that reduces the potential aggregate jitter numbers and spectra variances compared to separate transport and DA/C solutions unless you are wealthy and can truly afford a proprietary solution to this conundrum (EMM Labs, Wadia, TEAC Esoteric, etc). For this technical reason alone, this is why I always search for one box digital sources (Meridian 808i. It uses a multi-speed DVD-ROM that can make multiple passes over scratchy CDs which increases error correction 100x, recovers that data in bit perfect sequential order, buffers it into three stages of which the first two are FIFO, shoots it over to both Meridian multi-bit oversampled delta sigma D/A converters and Meridian's Resolution Enhancement Technology that utilizes three 48bit/150MIP DSPs to upsample 16bit/44.1kHz -> 24bit/176.4Khz all the while a custom Meridian master oscillator type clock operating at 16.9344MHz keeps jitter down to 90 picoseconds with less than 0.1Hz spectra variances. That data goes off into two separate cards: an analog card with discrete traces for both unbalanced RCA and fully balanced AES/EBU outputs and a custom card for Meridian' High Resolution 24bit/88.2kHz digital output).

that's one hell of a parentheses. i'll look deeper into Meridian products, that sounds like a very interesting process...

Quote:

Regarding the choice of cables, a boutique brand name 75/110 Ohm digital coaxial cable can cost upwards of $250 USD, but a plain jane video or XLR cable can be bought for less than $5 USD per foot of cable, yet both will give you virtually the same jitter measurements (all things being equal of course). TOSLink is the standard alternative, but it uses jacks that do not have a physical locking mechanism and plastic or glass fiber optic have wide variances in terms of aperature, durability, material purity and consistency, low bandwidth of about 6MHz, and virtually all lose a steep amount of data over longer distances. Furthermore, both glass and plastic TOSLink cables have low tensile strength which means that you can not bend them around tight corners without either breaking them or creating such a steep curve that you virtually guarantee a higher degree of signal loss over shorter distances. For the purposes of high end audio, this is simply unacceptable. AT&T ST glass fiber optic cable has a locking bayonet, the digital interface and processors are ready out of the box, high bandwidth of up to 150MHz, and data can travel very long distances in excess of several hundreds of feet with no signal loss. The only major downsides are cost and availability because they are not only expensive at several hundreds of dollars per foot, but the transport and processor must have the same interface boards which automatically doubles the cost of using this terrific cable (plus the other electronics). Furthermore, the terminations are delicate and fragile if handled improperly. In my opinion, a good performance to cost compromise is the AES/EBU (XLR) because it has the potential of up to 500MHz of available bandwidth, it is widely available in upscale consumer/professional/computer electronics, and the cables can be had for less than $100 USD for a pair which is reasonable in my humble opinion. It is also fully balanced and transmits at 5V rather than S/PDIF at 0.5V. The major drawback is that not all audio engineers and designers adhere to the 110 Ohm impedance, +/-20% specifications. Consequently, impedance mismatches cause reflections and increase jitter. Compromises are abound in audio.

I hope this was helpful and not confusing to the discussion. For my birthday next month, I will go buy those three digital audio engineering
books.

hook a brother up, i'd like to know a few authors who write on audio engineering. i enjoy a good read on something that i half-way understand, like linux books.

Quote:

AT&T ST glass fiber optic, especially when utilized in multi-node systems, has a higher potential for the best sound quality in digital audio systems because the AES/EBU (XLR connection) have greater variances not only in terms of grounding problems and impedance mismatches among different components, but also the circuit design can vary from true differential balanced mode to conversion of an unbalanced signal to balanced XLR outputs through the implementation of cheap op-amps. Also, the extra bandwidth that both AT&T ST and AES/EBU offer is critical because companies like Wadia or EMM Labs have designed custom in house AD/C and DA/C convertors that go up as high as 5bit/5.6MHz or 24bit/2.822MHz. So, bandwidth does matter. Also, TOSLink is simply inferior to AT&T ST glass fiber optic; listen to the new Wadia 581i or 781i and compare the TOSLink versus AES/EBU to the BNC to the AT&T ST glass fiber optic connections for yourself. Sorry, I am at work so I can not refer to my audio engineering books now.

very informative again. i thought Wadia was the tip of the iceberg, didn't know EMM Labs had even MORE insane sampling rates.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 25
Makes me wonder why Sony only has an optical digital output for the 595.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 25
With more people using computers w/ PCI Soundcards hooked to an external DAC, I am surprised optical isn't becoming more popular. There is no way I am going to want a DAC to share its ground with a computer.

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With more people using computers w/ PCI Soundcards hooked to an external DAC, I am surprised optical isn't becoming more popular. There is no way I am going to want a DAC to share its ground with a computer.

I agree. I'm using AES/EBU XLR for my output needs in order to avoid ground sharing, as well as the electric->optical->electric conversion happening when using optical transmission.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

It does not surprise me that this is occurring. Digital coaxial RCA is preferable over plastic or glass fiber optic TOSLink because the jacks are uniform are more secure, the materials are more durable and reliable, it has higher bandwidth, and it has less signal degradation over longer distances plus it is dirt cheap. The reason why so many audiophiles can hear distinct sound quality differences between these two different types of S/PDIF connections is because TOSLink has the potential for greater variances which I will explain later. However, it is the digital interface and processor(s) that most contribute to higher jitter in the S/PDIF interface. One box digital source components do not use interfacing S/PDIF connections so that reduces the potential aggregate jitter numbers and spectra variances compared to separate transport and DA/C solutions unless you are wealthy and can truly afford a proprietary solution to this conundrum (EMM Labs, Wadia, TEAC Esoteric, etc). For this technical reason alone, this is why I always search for one box digital sources (Meridian 808i. It uses a multi-speed DVD-ROM that can make multiple passes over scratchy CDs which increases error correction 100x, recovers that data in bit perfect sequential order, buffers it into three stages of which the first two are FIFO, shoots it over to both Meridian multi-bit oversampled delta sigma D/A converters and Meridian's Resolution Enhancement Technology that utilizes three 48bit/150MIP DSPs to upsample 16bit/44.1kHz -> 24bit/176.4Khz all the while a custom Meridian master oscillator type clock operating at 16.9344MHz keeps jitter down to 90 picoseconds with less than 0.1Hz spectra variances. That data goes off into two separate cards: an analog card with discrete traces for both unbalanced RCA and fully balanced AES/EBU outputs and a custom card for Meridian' High Resolution 24bit/88.2kHz digital output).

Regarding the choice of cables, a boutique brand name 75/110 Ohm digital coaxial cable can cost upwards of $250 USD, but a plain jane video or XLR cable can be bought for less than $5 USD per foot of cable, yet both will give you virtually the same jitter measurements (all things being equal of course). TOSLink is the standard alternative, but it uses jacks that do not have a physical locking mechanism and plastic or glass fiber optic have wide variances in terms of aperature, durability, material purity and consistency, low bandwidth of about 6MHz, and virtually all lose a steep amount of data over longer distances. Furthermore, both glass and plastic TOSLink cables have low tensile strength which means that you can not bend them around tight corners without either breaking them or creating such a steep curve that you virtually guarantee a higher degree of signal loss over shorter distances. For the purposes of high end audio, this is simply unacceptable. AT&T ST glass fiber optic cable has a locking bayonet, the digital interface and processors are ready out of the box, high bandwidth of up to 150MHz, and data can travel very long distances in excess of several hundreds of feet with no signal loss. The only major downsides are cost and availability because they are not only expensive at several hundreds of dollars per foot, but the transport and processor must have the same interface boards which automatically doubles the cost of using this terrific cable (plus the other electronics). Furthermore, the terminations are delicate and fragile if handled improperly. In my opinion, a good performance to cost compromise is the AES/EBU (XLR) because it has the potential of up to 500MHz of available bandwidth, it is widely available in upscale consumer/professional/computer electronics, and the cables can be had for less than $100 USD for a pair which is reasonable in my humble opinion. It is also fully balanced and transmits at 5V rather than S/PDIF at 0.5V. The major drawback is that not all audio engineers and designers adhere to the 110 Ohm impedance, +/-20% specifications. Consequently, impedance mismatches cause reflections and increase jitter. Compromises are abound in audio.

I hope this was helpful and not confusing to the discussion. For my birthday next month, I will go buy those three digital audio engineering books.

first of all ST is just a connector, it dosent denote what kind of fiber you are using (single mode or multimode)

I have been installing and running fiber for years and the only time i have ever seen fiber be "hundreds of dollars per foot" is if its some serious multistrand cable... like 64 strands or something...

both multimode and singlemode fiber are incredibly cheap, a lot cheaper than the audiophool glass optical cables... also the fiber emitters and detectors are not expensive either, i can buy the HP 1310 nm parts for a few dollars... the reason they are not used for audio is becuase they are overkill for S/PDIF...

AES/EBU is used in professional applications becuase it is balanced, which makes it more resistant to interactions and harmful interfearence... which is common in a studio where you can have literally hundreds of cables running parallel to each other...

Quote:

AT&T ST glass fiber optic, especially when utilized in multi-node systems, has a higher potential for the best sound quality in digital audio systems because the AES/EBU (XLR connection) have greater variances not only in terms of grounding problems and impedance mismatches among different components, but also the circuit design can vary from true differential balanced mode to conversion of an unbalanced signal to balanced XLR outputs through the implementation of cheap op-amps. Also, the extra bandwidth that both AT&T ST and AES/EBU offer is critical because companies like Wadia or EMM Labs have designed custom in house AD/C and DA/C convertors that go up as high as 5bit/5.6MHz or 24bit/2.822MHz. So, bandwidth does matter. Also, TOSLink is simply inferior to AT&T ST glass fiber optic; listen to the new Wadia 581i or 781i and compare the TOSLink versus AES/EBU to the BNC to the AT&T ST glass fiber optic connections for yourself. Sorry, I am at work so I can not refer to my audio engineering books now.

a correctly designed digital section for AES/EBU should have a transformer immedietly after the connector so that grounding is not an issue...

also if companies have designed in house propriatary digital protocols from their sources to their dacs then who cares? unless you have that equipment the difference in cabling will not nessicarily translate to huge differences over plain toslink

i agree s/pdif is a crappy interface (I2S would really be ideal since thats whats coming out of your sources driver/decoder... and going into your actuall DAC IC anyway) i just hate to see this "omg whatever > whatever!!!!11111oneoneone" every time i come here... the 1's and 0's will still travel at the speed of light over any medium you use, and unless you have something SERIOUSLY wrong, they will end up just the same... jitter and other artifacts are generally generated by the transmitting and recieving devices... you want no jitter? use a gps deciplined rubidium master clock and feed it into all your devices and be done with it...

the OP was correct in his title optical is going out of style i would guess its becuase all the cable manufacturers up play their coaxial cables and down play optical a lot... (since its a lot easier and cheaper to make a 75 ohm coaxial interconnect, than have someone manufacture a custom optical interconnect...)

its like the FOTM, someone buys a headphone and exclaims "OMG THROW AWAY YOUR R10's and HE90's these $200 headphones are god-like!!!!" so everyone goes out and buys them and even if they suck, the thing keeps going for a while becuase people think, man, if that guy heard it, why cant i? maybe there is something wrong with me??? i mean, i couldent have just spent $200 on a whim for nothing? right??

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidiousness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Kramer, Get over to wierdstuff and get an old CD-Rom. there $1~$3. and sound really good. The NEC and Plextors sound best(and have play/stop/>>/<< controls) these are stand alone with coaxDigital outs.
wink.gif

Great tip!!

A couple members use PC CD-ROMs as sources with the COAX digital out.

For $3, I can't loose.

Mar 27, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 1's and 0's will still travel at the speed of light over any medium you use, and unless you have something SERIOUSLY wrong, they will end up just the same... jitter and other artifacts are generally generated by the transmitting and recieving devices...

Very true. All the more reason not to use TOSLINK. The recieveing and transmitting devices are ****. Read the datasheet. None can come remotely close to the jitter specs of an often even poorly terminated Coax or AES connection, and most definitely can't compete with a properly implimented transmission line.

Getting 100% jitter free is not required, just getting jitter low enough to not be audible is the goal, and many sources can achieve this. This goes to hell as soon as the signal is converted to S/PDIF and back though.

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 25
This thread makes me want to compare optical and coax with my DAC. The reason why I haven't done this yet is that I don't believe there would be any audible difference between these two interfaces. For now I use optical connection with $20 glass optical cable bought from Audiogon.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 25
I have a Onix XCD-88 which has an optical and a coax out.

I have a Lavry DAC10 on the way, I haven't bought a connector cable yet.
After reading this and other threads saying that coax RCA is better.
I decided not to buy a toslink cable.

Right now I have a very low end RCA cable that I was planning on using.
Can I get a recommendation for a short (maybe 3ft) coax cable?
Budget is undecided, but considering it's a Onix and Lavry, I don't want to go overboard.

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 25
I recently went to using an RCA-Coax cable after getting a DVD-A player that can output hi-rez 192kHz/24-bit that way, but not via optical.

Prior to that, I was pretty happy with TOSlink. How much jitter is a potential issue depends a lot on the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back